- Ever heard unchurched people say things like this?
- I’m a pretty good person. – See Romans 3: 10 – 18, 23
- I think my life is good enough that I will make it to heaven. Good enough for who? Filthy rags, our own righteousness – Isaiah 64:6
- I haven’t really committed bad sins (like those other guys), in Luke 18: 9 – 14.
2. You also hear church going people say things like this, that show they don’t understand grace
- I’ve attended church since I was this tall -> (Insert height)
- I’ve had perfect Sunday School attendance for 27 years
- I’ve been a member of such and such church and my daddy was a deacon and my granddaddy was a preacher. Everyone must individually get things right with God, believe on His name and receive Christ.(John 1:12)
- I’ve always followed the 10 commandments – Sorry but that’s not what’s going to get you into heaven. Matt 19: 16 – 22
3. The truth is – it’s all about grace, we can’t earn it, we don’t deserve it.
- Ephesians 2: 8,9 – ‘by grace you have been saved through faith, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast’
- Romans 3:24 – justified freely by HIS grace
- Galatians 2:16 – We are justified by faith in Jesus Christ, not by the works of the Law
- God bridged the gap between Himself and us by sending Jesus to us. See Romans 5:8